Fresh Snack Reports | Contact us
OFFICIAL SNACK REPORT
Sanctioned By WASAW Snack Committee
Reviewed By: Paddy O'Poppycock
Location: Chattanooga, TN
OFFICIAL NAME OF SNACK:
PRICE: Given as a gift
DESCRIPTION OF SNACK:
(SNACK SATISFACTION INDEX - 1-10):
1) It's one of the few true snack legends. The MoonPie may very well be the Lou Gehrig of snacks. Well known, yet still under-appreciated. A Hall of Famer with elements of mystery. The Iron Horse, reliable, consistent.
2) The MoonPie is a great snack out of the box. Big, substantial, filling. (Move over, Snickers - the MoonPie satisfies completely without making you feel like you're going to ooze oil from your forehead when you're done eating.)
And yet, the MoonPie is even better microwaved. Like out-of-this world better. I swear, if I put some ice cream on top of a microwaved double-decker Moon Pie and served it at a party, folks would be begging me for the homemade recipe. And you know what? I'm just enough of an ass to tell them it's my own family's special recipe and not available for the general public.
3) As a kid, I fantasized about a big snack conveyor belt on the Moon filled with these pies and the astronauts packing them up and shipping them to earth. I still have that fantasy. Which is why I think sending humans to Mars is assanine. Let's get humans making MoonPies on the moon first, then we'll see about letting them set food on the Red Planet.
1) The claim found on their boxes - "The Original Marshmallow Sandwich!" It doesn't do justice to the non-marshmallow parts of this snack. Try one of these treats dry and you'll notice that the marshmallow is the secondary taste here - the graham cracker cookies (dipped in chocolate) hold their own.
2) The logo. I love the font, don't get me wrong. But the quarter-moon icon below the "Moon Pie" - along with the "The Only One On The Planet!" tagline makes the logo bottom-heavy. And if you've eaten one of these delicious treats, they are certainly not bottom-heavy. (You may become bottom-heavy, but not the snack.) As unpopular of an opinion I'm sure this will be, I'd honestly prefer a full moon icon for more balance.
That sound you hear? It's the South closing their borders to me forever.
Images stolen from favoritesof.com
1ST 4 INGREDIENTS:
Enriched Wheat Flour
High Fructose Corn Syrup
LAST 4 INGREDIENTS:
MoonPies come in mini, single-decker and double-decker sizes. Also, they are available in a variety of flavors. For this taste test, I stuck with the chocolate flavor, and tried the mini, single-decker and double-decker sizes. (About 8 of each.) The packaging for all three is classic. Simple, clean, personable, special. It communicates a clear message and shows personality. The double-decker individual packaging is blue, which I found interesting. It made me feel refreshed just looking at it. And after eating a double-decker, the wrapper's cool blue tones were a helpful reminder to drink plenty of water.
DO YOU RECOMMEND THIS SNACK? (YES/NO - EXPLAIN):
Ask me that again and I'll make a move on your sister. C'mon, of course I would recommend the MoonPie. But unless you live in the South, your chances of finding any are drastically reduced. Their website, however, lets you order online. Do so. Now.
AREN'T YOU MARRIED TO SOMEONE FROM CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE - WHERE MOON PIES ARE MADE?
Yes, and I've told her I will one day move down south. Should she secure me a job as promotional creative director at the Chattanooga Bakery, however, I will move tomorrow.
Back for more snacks